As a Florida Cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Dana sees many patients seeking a breast reduction in Florida. Being a female often makes us an easy choice for women looking to have a breast reduction in Florida. Breast reduction surgery removes glandular breast tissue and fatty tissue from the chest to help eliminate the psychological and physical stress of large, pendulous breasts. This makes for a very high patient satisfaction after they undergo a breast reduction procedure.
Breast reduction surgery can make your breast and areola size more proportional to the rest of your body. Also, symptoms such as back, neck, and shoulder pain, rashes, and headache can be alleviated.
Incision Patterns for breast reduction surgery
- Vertical breast reduction procedure incision
- Wise pattern breast reduction procedure incision
The vertical breast reduction procedure results in a “lollipop” incision that goes around the areola and down the front of the breast. This technique can be used when a moderate amount of reduction is required but there is not too much excess skin.
There is a tendency for the skin to bunch at the bottom of the scar. This can take several weeks to months to smooth out completely, or a small incision can be placed in the breast fold to remove it at the time of surgery. Liposuction is sometimes added to contour the sides of the breast during the breast reduction surgery.
The Wise pattern breast reduction procedure (named for the surgeon who developed it) results in an anchor shaped scar, and the bottom part lies in the fold under the breast. This removes the most skin, but results in the longest scar. Again, liposuction can be used to help define the outside of the breast and remove excess fat from the side of the chest. This is the more common type of breast reduction in Florida.
Risks for Breast Reduction surgery
- Unfavorable scarring after a breast reconstruction procedure
- Bleeding (hematoma) that may require drainage or surgery to stop the bleeding
- Fluid collection (seroma) that may require drainage
- Infection from breast reduction surgery incision
- Changes in nipple or breast sensation (may be temporary or permanent)
- Breast contour and shape irregularities
- Breast asymmetry after a breast reduction procedure
- Fatty tissue could die (fat necrosis) causing lumps after a breast reduction procedure
- Potential partial or total loss of nipple and areola from breast reduction surgery
- You may have more difficulty breastfeeding after breast reduction surgery
Expected Recovery after Breast Reduction
Swelling and bruising are common after breast reduction surgery. You will be sore for a few weeks, but the discomfort is usually well controlled with prescription pain medication in the first few days and over the counter medications after that.
You will have a surgical bra to wear for several weeks after surgery to provide support, and you should not wear an underwire bra until everything is healed. The final results of your breast lift will take months because the breast shape and position continue to settle.
The incisions will lead to permanent scars, but they will continue to fade over time. Breast reduction surgery lifts the breasts, but it cannot prevent the breasts from continuing to sag in the future. Keeping a stable weight will help your results last as long as possible.
If you are seeking a breast reduction in Florida, cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Dana is an obvious choice among top Florida cosmetic surgeons. A breast reduction procedure is often covered by insurance. If insurance is not an option, breast reduction surgery costs about $7000.00 and takes about three hours.